From 1947 small groups of Estonians were employed in Huddersfield, Holmfirth and Bradford area in mills. As lives returned to normal after resettling, people started to organise leisure and cultural activities.
On 03.01.1953, the Estonian Club committee came together with a proposal to buy a property to house all their activities under one roof.
Committee members were: V Kinnas, E Luuk, E Ottan, P Pugi, A Relly, A Sildaru and O Tawel.
The committee sent out letters to all Estonians locally to contribute funds towards the purchase of a suitable property. Out of 249 letters sent out, only 49 letters came back with offers for help and one from Male Voice Choir KOIT. A large property with large garden in very dilapidated condition was found at 8 Clifton Villas. The purchasing committee of A. E. Aaviksaar, M Kont, P Pugi and B H Vali signed the contract for 8 Clifton Villas but they could not take possession of property until 12.8.1955.
The building was in very poor condition and full of old used household effects, some floors and ceilings were rotten, water closets and electrics in need of repair. Most of the Estonian community volunteered to work in their spare time and weekends to repair and decorate. By Christmas 1955, a few rooms upstairs were redecorated and ready for the caretaker to live in.