|Name:||St Francis of Assisi Church, Beeston|
|Description:||St Francis of Assisi Church, Beeston - picture image photographed at the Leeds Irish Centre|
|Collection:||Leeds Irish Cente|
|Location:||Leeds Irish Centre|
|Contributor:||Leeds Irish Centre|
|Rights:||Leeds Irish Centre|
In 1891, when Canon McAuliffe moved from Huddersfield to Leeds, his parish was a small and impoverished mission. Manor Road, Holbeck had a Church that also had to be used as a school. The building was surrounded by a dirty pond, stables and piggeries. The people of the area were generally very poor.
Canon McAuliffe raised vast amounts of money to assist in the renovations and building of churches in the area. One of the biggest achievements was the building of the present Church of St Francis of Assisi. It seated around 700 people and was consecrated in 1928. It was described as a 'beautiful structure, with a most costly and impressive interior, a lofty tower, and an ideal peal of bells which can be heard all over the city of Leeds.'
He also spent £8000 on the Church of St Anthony at Beeston and built a Boy's School and Parochial Hall in Manor Road.
At St Francis of Assisi Boy's School the average attendance in 1928 was around 270 boys. The site was purchased for 30s per yard and the first brick was laid on August 4th 1914, the day the First World War broke out. It was opened in 1917 and cost upwards of £18,000