Ordnance Survey Map showing the Ravensthorpe area in 1895.
Name: Ordnance Survey Map showing the Ravensthorpe area in 1895.
Description:
Collection:
Location:
Reference:
Contributor: West Yorkshire Archive Service
Rights: West Yorkshire Archive Service

The Ravensthorpe area did not exist as a community until the middle of the nineteenth century. Today Ravensthorpe is a diverse and thriving community which is home to the Dewsbury Bus Museum.

In its early beginnings, Ravensthorpe was just a collection of small lanes lined with a few isolated houses and cottages linking the aged settlements of Dewsbury and Mirfield.

The largest of which was Brick House, the first red bricked house to be built in this area, which was home to the Tattersfield Family.

In 1864, George Tattersfield of Brick House became an elected candidate in the first council of Ravensthorpe. During this time, Ravensthorpe got its name, as prior to 1864 Ravensthorpe was often referred to as Little Mirfield or Newtown.

Before the 1870s, Ravensthorpe depended economically on the production of malt for brewing and coke production at a mine in the Shill Bank area of Ravensthorpe. However in the 1870s, Ravensthorpe developed its own Textile Mill buildings, which from here was where the economy depended.

After World War II, large areas of Ravensthorpe were demolished as part of Clement Atlee's slum clearance schemes which laid the foundations of the current Ravensthorpe area.

 

 

 

Below are some pictures of the Marshall, Kaye and Marshall Woollen Factory which were based in the Ravensthorpe area. (The pictures below are the copyright of Eric.L.Fenton of Batley)

Marshall, Kaye and Marshall was a wool manufacturing company founded in 1880 by John Watson Kaye at Oaklands Mill in Ravensthorpe. It company was owned in part by John Watson Kaye, Mark Bell Marshall and William Marshall. In 1887, John Watson Kaye retired and his share of Marshall, Kaye and Marshall was taken over by his younger brother Harry Kaye, who was an England first-class cricketer. During WWI Marshall, Kaye and Marshall produced serge and greatcoats for the British, French, Belgian, Italian and Russian armies. In WWII Marshall, Kaye and Marshall as in WWI produced cloths for Government contracts, which included uniform cloths for the Women's Land Army, the Civil Defence Services and the RAF. Marshall, Kaye and Marshall remained open until the early 1970's and finally shut in 1975.

More Images