Shibden Hall
Name: Shibden Hall
Description:
Collection:
Location: WYAS: Calderdale
Reference:
Contributor: WYAS
Rights: WYAS
Anne inherited Shibden Hall in 1836

Anne's home from 1815, Shibden Hall, was a small West Yorkshire manor house, about two miles from Halifax, built about 1420 by the Otes family.  It was subsequently lived in by the wealthy Savile family and then by the Waterhouse family.  When Shibden was sold in 1612 by Edward Waterhouse, to stave off impending bankruptcy, it was bought by members of the Hemingway family who were cousins of the Listers. The tenant in 1614 was Samuel Lister, a clothier who, by the marriage of his sons to their cousins, contrived to bring Shibden into Lister family ownership in 1619.

Anne set herself a programme of self-education so that she could manage the estate of some 400 acres, with revenues from agricultural rents, mining and quarrying and she became an astute business woman in a male-dominated society.  Although she came to love Shibden, Anne recognised the shortcomings of the “comfortless house” and wanted a far grander and more imposing property. Once she had full control of Shibden in 1836 following the deaths of her aunt Anne and her father Jeremy Lister, she set about creating it with her architect John Harper. In fact, Anne would probably not recognise the building as we know it today because work was still continuing when she set out for Russia in 1839.   The main changes which came about were the terracing of the south lawn, the opening up of the low ceilinged housebody, a Norman style tower at the west end with water closet, and in the park, a cascade through a wilderness, an ornamental lake, and a carriage drive to Godley with gatehouse.  Other planned changes were beyond Anne’s budget or died with her