|Name:||Warley Town drinking fountain|
|Description:||Warley Town drinking fountain|
|Contributor:||West Yorkshire Archive Service|
|Rights:||West Yorkshire Archive Service|
Warley Community Association was formed in November 2008 to renovate and repair the drinking fountain in the village centre, with the help of Calderdale Council. It was erected in memory of Henry Charles McCrea in 1904 by his youngest son Arthur Selby. The McCrea family owned to nearby Warley House Estate.
The drinking fountain was damaged in a car accident and left in a state of disrepair for one year. No one admitted ownership to the fountain and since Warley residents saw the need for it to be returned to its original condition, Calderdale Council recommended that a group should form for their voices to be heard on this matter. Warley Community Association was born and its members were granted the money for repair.
Since November 2008, the group has gone from strength to strength - even the first meeting was attended by 30-40 people. Warley Community Association now has 13 committee members and is committed to preserving and promoting the heritage and life of Warley. The group runs successful local events, such as the 2009 Christmas Fair that had 200 visitors in one day!
The West Yorkshire: Our Stories project worked with Warley Community Association in February 2010.
Grant is 90 years old and previously worked as Head Gardener on the Warley House Estate belonging to Henry Charles McCrea from 1866 before being passed to his son Arthur Selby McCrea in 1901. He later left the Estate to the Royal Halifax Infirmary when he died in 1945.
The Warley House Estate was owned by Henry Charles McCrea and later by his son, Arthur Selby McCrea.
Irene is 91 years old and attended Warley Town School from the age of 5 in 1918.